Monday, October 1, 2007

SPELUNKING



This past weekend some friends and I went on a caving adventure up in North Ogden. We woke up early in the morning to go so we wouldn't have to hike in the hot sun. A few of my friends going had been to the cave before so they led the way. The cave we went to is not mapped, nor is it well know, so we were trudging through the wilderness without any trails. The hike was long and exhausting. It took us almost an hour to hike up to the opening of the cave. The cave opening was very small so we had to crawl on our hands and knees in order to get inside. We turned on our head lamps and slid in. The first few yards of the cave was just as small as the opening. Not only was there hardly any room to move but the floor was covered in poo. It was quite disgusting to have to crawl in those conditions. Once we made our way into the cave, though, it started to open up. We were eventually able to stand up in a little opening and move around, but this was not the end. While in that opening we came across a very odd looking creature living in the cave. I would've sworn it was a chinchilla, but what an odd place for a chinchilla to live. We figured this little creature was responsible for all the poo we had to crawl through. The cave continued downward in very small and narrow passages. There were times I thought I was going to get stuck because the holes were so small. In some instances I had to repel myself downward on a rope with absolutely nothing beneath me. Eventually, we all made it to the bottom of the cave. The cavern at the bottom was enormous. We walked around for a bit and hung out. It was so dark down in the cave that when we all turned off our head lamps there was absolute darkness. I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face. It was such a cool place to be, knowing that I was hundreds of feet inside the mountain. On our way out, one of the girls with us slipped on a rock and split her knee open. The wound was pretty grusome and it was bleeding alot. Luckily, we had a first-aid kit so I helped her get patched up. It was really difficult for her to climb back up all the rocks and ropes, thought, since she was in so much pain. Getting out of the cave was a lot more difficult because it required more physical support than getting down. However, we did it! We all made it through the cave and it was so much fun! The whole experience made us exhausted and we all spent the rest of the day taking a nap.

One of my friends made a video of the adventure

No comments: