Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bye Bye Sunshine. Bye Bye Duck Tape.

For the past who knows how long, this has been Mark's version of blocking the sunlight from our bedroom window so he can sleep during the day after a long night sift.
Yup...that's duck tape. And as perfectly happy as I am that Mark can get some sleep in broad daylight, we all know that duck tape is NO BEUNO for the paint on your walls.

Go ahead and count with me...1...2...3...that's 3 blankets stuffed behind my hidden curtain rod.

Low and behold, behind the 3 blankets and already existing curtains there were pillows stuffed in the window. No way any light was getting through this masterpiece of a design!
However...as you can see our blinds have been suffering. Yes...in this picture they are in the closed position, but you would never know it the way they have melted and drooped due to the mass amounts of suffocation and heat. So...I knew it was time I took matters into my own hands.

After much research, I found this totally awesome Blackout Fabric that supposedly blocks light completely. It's typically used for home theater windows, and I prayed it would be the perfect solution to our sunlight dilemma. Best part about it, it's suppose to be a great insulator too, so it can reflect the sunlight and keep the cool air inside.

I didn't want anything to be permanent because I wanted to still be able to let sunlight in when Mark wasn't sleeping. So I used some handy dandy velcro to put it up, that way it can come off in a cinch! Yes...velcro is tacky, but it's better than duck tape.

Lookey there...doesn't that look much better. And what do you know, it really does block out the sunlight! Just to prove it...here's a picture of the window with the lights off and my camera flash off. Voila!

I realize all of this is probably completely nonsense and uninteresting to all of you. But I can't tell you how glad I am that I no longer have to deal with stuffed blankets! But then I think....maybe some of you other fellow night workers could use a tip or two...maybe.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Wonderful! I wish I had some of this when I was working those crazy night shifts. Where does one find this magical fabric? I want some just so I can sleep in on Friday and Saturdays! and put in the laundry room so the Chloe Dog doesn't wake up!

Norman & Trynitee Peat said...

That is a great idea, I work night shifts and so this is somewhat of a dilemma for myself as well. I think I have it kind of figured out for now but I will keep that fabric and velcro in mind.

Mike and Kathryn said...

Oh my gosh Michelle...you are a LIFESAVER! Where do you find this stuff?? We've been using blankets and paper clips! I'm not even kidding, WAY more tacky than velcro and it hasn't really even worked lol.

MelanieBrenchley said...

Oh my gosh, does Mark know what a good wife he's got? You are awesome. That beats the black butcher paper from all my night shift years...