Sunday, August 26, 2012

Seaside Rendevous...

We just got back from a fabulous vacation in Seaside, OR with my family and once again we took waaaay to many pictures. I like to think there isn't such a thing as too many pictures, but then I get home and actually start to download them and realize I may have gone a little overboard. But what are vacations for if you can't throw caution to the wind and do whatever you want!?

Seaside is right in the heart of Coastal Oregon and our hotel was literally right on the beach. Everything there is SO PRETTY, especially the beaches! Not your typical pacific coast beach with seagulls, beach-bums, and surfers. Let's just say there's a little less sunshine and a lot more... fog, but truly beautiful. And the water is, shall we say, cold! Here we are on our first day at Seaside Beach....


Seaside is a quaint little town that has a lot of history. It is where the famous Lewis & Clark ended their journey across the United States. I can just imagine their excitement as they discovered the Pacific Ocean for the first time and what a view they beheld.

The following morning Mark and I woke up bright and early to some of the thickest fog I have ever seen. You couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of you. No wonder lighthouses are everywhere around here. Anyway...while the rest of the family slept in (Aw, how cute...Dad and Alex snuggling) Mark and I walked into town and bought some fresh doughnuts from Dundee's Doughnuts. Mark kept saying, "THE DUNDEES!" (Hopefully you Office fans know what I'm talking about...). 

P.S. If you thought you were going to get through this post without seeing a thousands pictures of the delicious food we ate than you were highly mistaken. Do you even know who we are?!? Foodies. 


Because I felt a little guilty about eating 4 whole doughnuts, Parker and I decided to go for a run. I had intentions of running more while on this trip, buuuut I decided to be lazy the other days. I'm so glad I got at least one in though because it was b.e.a.utiful! I wish I lived on the beach so I could do this more often!


That day we drove down to Cannon Beach, which was quite possibly one of my favorite destinations of this trip. I think one day I'll buy a vacation-home there. The town is full of the cutest little shops/boutiques and the yummiest food/goodies. What more could a girl ask for?

We started out by visiting Pinky's Kites where this fine gentleman hand-selected some "beginner" kites for us to fly down on the beach. We later realized Pinky had little faith in us as kite flyers because with as much wind as there is it was waaay to easy. We should've bought some more "advanced" kites.


Anyway...we ate lunch at Morris' Fireside and I had THE BEST Clam Chowder I have ever had. Seriously, the best. Then us girls did some shopping while the boys went and discovered Haystack Rock.

The following day we had really nice sunny weather for a change. We decided we'd take advantage of the sunshine while it lasted and spent the day playing on the beach. Alex and Parker were the only ones brave enough to conquer the ocean at first (seeing how it's freezing cold!). They rented some wet suits (which surprisingly worked very well to keep you warm!) and headed out with their body boards. The rest of us played games on the beach and soaked in the sun.



Here's my section dedicated to how darling Halle was in her itsy-bitsy swimming suit at the beach for her first time! I can't get enough of these...she's a doll. I just love it!


So as the day warmed up the rest of us started to catch the bug and braved the ice-cold waters after all. Shane and Mark squeezed themselves into the wet suits for a while and we all tested out the skim-boards on the tide (which is not as easy as it looks might I add)....

That night we watched this amazing sunset, it deserves a solo shout-out...


Day 3 we visited Ass-toria (as we discovered is how all the locals say it). Yes...Astoria, OR is the home of the Goonies. And Yes we made sure to visit all the Goonie hotspots, including the house where it was filmed (aka The Goondocks). 


We also visited the Astoria Column, which is a huge column that consists of 160+ some odd steps in a spiral staircase that takes you all the way up to the top. It has the most magnificent view from the top! You can see 360 degrees of lustrous green coast, the Columbia River and Pacific Ocean. It also counted for a great workout that day!


We had a fancy little lunch right on the Columbia River where you could look out and see the big boats coming in from the Ocean and getting tugged into the bay. I wish I would have taken photos of our food (again) because this was by far the best meal we had all trip at The Baked Alaska. I got their Crab Macaroni and Cheese and now no Kraft will ever satisfy me. Their crab-cakes were also really good. Seriously, with how much I love sea food I definitely need to move a little closer to some salty body of water other than the Great Salt Lake.


Our last day we drove down to Tillamook and visited the Tillamook Cheese Factory. It was....exciting? We learned all about how cheese is made and tasted some of the finest of its kind. Cheese curds (aka Squeaky Cheese) has always been my favorite. I don't care if you think it's gross...I love it. The real treat was the Tillamook Ice Cream, which is so creamy and rich! I'm not much of an ice cream person, but somehow I managed to eat more ice cream in this one trip than I consume in an entire year. 


We spent our final night partying it up in Seaside. Being one of the first "beach towns" in Oregon, it has a bit of 1920's carnival night-life going on. On every corner there's either an arcade, bumper cars, merry-go-round, or salt-water taffy shop. It's pretty cute. 

Well...that's Seaside for you. I'm 99.9% sure we saw everything there is to see, we did good! It was tons of fun and the perfect way to end our summer. Now it's back to school for Mark, work for both of us, and the same old.

2 comments:

emma said...

we love seaside!!! what a fun vacation. also, your niece is SO CUTE.

Jemmily said...

Looks so fun Michelle! I need one of those donuts NOW!!!