Sunday, December 9, 2012

Magical Thanksgiving

Mark was going to Florida for a Medical Conference that the Army was sending him to. It was right over Thanksgiving weekend, so we figured we might as well make a trip out of it. With his flight and hotel already being covered, all we had to do was fly me out and buy some discounted military passes to DisneyWorld. Not bad, eh!?

We flew out bright and early Thanksgiving morning on separate flights (his was booked weeks before mine). As soon as we both arrived that evening we went straight from the airport to Disney Hollywood Studios. Let's just say my mind was BLOWN with how awesome their Christmas decorations were. I have always wanted to see Disney during Christmas, and it was better than I had even imagined it would be.


Of course we hit all the rides we could fit in before the park closed, but my favorite moment of the entire night was when the park was closing and the employees were all dancing out in the middle of this fabulously lit street to Feliz Navidad. I just had to join in.

video

Magical, right!? Anywho...the next morning Mark woke up bright and early to attend his conference while I slept in (spoiled much?). That afternoon I met up with Mark and his army pal Nelson and his girlfriend Michelle at the Grand Floridian, the Disney Resort where their conference was at. Can you say Beautiful!? The hotel lobby had this ginormous tree and life size ginger-bread house.


 We headed over to the Magic Kingdom next. Once again, I was like a giddy kid in a candy shop as I oowed and awwed over all the pretty decorations. 



 The park was PACKED the day after Thanksgiving. So much that we waiting in line for Space Mountain for a good 1 hour and 45 minutes. Good thing they had video games in the line to keep us all entertained (genius!).


We didn't get to do ALL the rides because moving from one side of the park to the other was literally like moving through a herd of cows. So we did all our favorites like Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, and Buzz Lightyear.


And what is Disneyland without overloading on goodies!? (And you thought I was doing so well not posting thousands of picture of food...). Of course, we ordered ourselves some delicious Dole Pineapple Whip!


I searched high and low for the Extra Large Pickle stand...just to find it in time for them to be all sold out for the day. Boo! 


And then we waited a good 15 minutes for Mark to get some freshly spun cotton candy! Such a disappointment when we got it and realized it was bubblegum flavored. Yuck. 



So once the sun went down...I REALLY turned into one happy girl. Check out how magical Cinderella's castle was at night! Just dripping in Christmas lights! LOVE!


And then I finished the night off goofing around with this guy like usual...


Saturday we woke up bright and early to hit up Universal Studios. This was Mark's favorite part of the trip! Not that I don't love all theme parks, but let's just say DisneyWorld is much more my speed. Ever since I turned 21 roller-coasters and I have NOT been the best of friends. Lame. Mark, however, was in pure heaven the entire time. Luckily, it just so happens that Mark's brother Scott and his family were also on vacation in Florida this same weekend. So, we met up with them this day which meant Mark had more people to go on the rides with. Then I didn't feel so bad when I sat one or two of them out.


We hit up the new Harry Potter World first and it was freaking AMAZING! Everything was so real and Diagon Alley was right out of the movies. The Castle was pretty neat too, what detail they put into it!

We went on all the water rides and literally got drenched head to toe. Like down to your skivvies drenched. And even though we were in Florida, it was a chill 70 degrees mid-afternoon and the sun just wasn't drying us out. We knew from nights before that once the sun went down it got really chilly. So I left the park to go change and grab a change of dry clothes for Mark. We were so glad we had because that night would have been miserable otherwise.

We had a great time at Universal Studios, especially since we got to enjoy it with family and friends.


The following morning we woke up and checked out of our hotel and went to the last session of Mark's conference. I got a little bored of sitting in the back listing to people talk about things I know nothing about. So I hoped on the tram and spent a few hours at the Magic Kingdom to go on all the kiddy rides I know Mark hates like Peter Pan, Small World and even the Tiki Room. Mark joined me after his conference and we spent our last hour getting in a few of our favorites again.

It was a short trip, just 3 days, but we packed in as much fun as we possibly could. This was the first Thanksgiving in my life that I hadn't spent with family eating turkey and stuffing my face with pie. It was sort of fun for a change. Thanks dearest Mark for the fabulous weekend in DisneyWorld and Universal! And Happy belated Thanksgiving everyone.

1 comment:

Suresh kumar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.